About Trove Canberra
The Trove Canberra Cooperative Ltd was established in 2014 by Canberra region designers and artists from the Canberra Etsy sellers team. The goals were opening a brick and mortar shop, selling local, handcrafted goods and interacting face-to-face with customers. Trove registered as a not-for-profit cooperative in August 2014. The first store was set up in the (now demolished) Lonsdale Street Traders in Braddon.
Three years later, Trove Canberra is a thriving, creative community of 30 makers located in the Canberra CBD. The future vision includes helping the community and enriching opportunities for the handmade industry. As a cooperative, every member is a part owner with a vote and a vested interest in the operation and success of the shop. Trove members create a broad range of handcrafted products, specialising in many mediums. All goods on offer are made within a 100 km radius of Canberra. For an introduction to current designers visit the Our Designers page on Trove’s website, which provides links to each maker’s profile.
The Trove Student Award Program
Trove Canberra is offering local, tertiary art and design students the opportunity to submit their portfolio of work for the Trove Student Award.
Trove’s rationale for the award came from one member’s personal experience as a university student. She was the beneficiary of comparable awards during her studies and business creation. Her passionate appreciation of the help she received, inspired the Cooperative to develop this award.
The purpose of the Trove Student Award is to aid and expand opportunities for new designers in the handmade/artistic community. With access to our experienced members and local networks, Trove aims to provide encouragement and support to new makers and designers while offering them dedicated space to showcase and sell their work in a physical shop, with no financial obligations. To an emerging artist, access to a Cooperative of like-minded artists and designers can make a difference in their creative journey.
The Trove Student Award is one of the ways Trove strives to support the creative community. It is an expression of our enthusiasm and appreciation for the industry as a whole.
Who can apply
Canberran students undertaking their final year of tertiary study in design, creative or visual arts are eligible to apply for the program.
Each semester, one student will be chosen to participate in the program and given the opportunity to showcase and sell their work in the Trove Canberra shop for three months.
Second and 3rd placed finalists will receive a $50.00 Trove Canberra gift voucher, their work published on Trove’s website and all top 3 finalists will be showcased in a magazine-style catalogue by the Canberra e-magazine ‘The Local Look’.
As the award recipient you will receive:
- complimentary, dedicated space within the Trove shop, Garema Centre, Civic to showcase and sell your products for 3 months
- access to the online Trove community for advice and support
- a student award designer profile on the Trove website
- exposure for your work in the shop and on Trove’s website, newsletter and social media accounts
- a feature article in local Canberra e-magazine ‘The Local Look.’
- a Business Course Bundle of 3 classes from The Makers’ Community
- the opportunity to earn from the sale of your work – sale proceeds are deposited directly into your bank account (minus 2% to cover bank transaction fees)
- the guidance and mentorship of Trove members
- experience working in a shop (optional)
- involvement in the local creative community, and
- the capacity to build networks within the handmade, creative industry
Upon the successful completion of the term, the student can choose to remain a part of the Cooperative, subject to a successful member application, space availability and agreement to the current Trove Canberra Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policies.
The Selection Process
Three finalists will be chosen from amongst all the applicants. They will be invited to attend an interview with the judging panel made up of three members – one Trove representative, and two local entrepreneurs/creative business people.
The winner will be selected on the basis of the strength of their application, their interview and the availability of appropriate space in the shop.
How to Apply
In the application, tell us about:
- your recent work (include up to five images)
- the story of your creative journey and reasons for wanting to be part of the program
- your target market
- your passion for the creative industry, and
- Why your products should be selected for the Trove Canberra shop. For example; is there a demand for your innovative work? Are you creating something unique, versatile and appealing to the public?
Important Dates for Semester 2, 2017 Intake:
- Applications open July 1 – July 31
- Finalists announced and published August 6
- Interviews with the Judging panel begins August 15
- Winner announced August 20
- Shop term commences September 1, ending November 31
If you have questions or need any further information, please email email@example.com.